Frazer Memorial United Methodist Church began in 1889 when a local preacher organized a Sunday School in a storeroom on Holt Street in Montgomery. The group started to grow and purchased a house on Herron Street as a meeting place. In 1892 a minister was assigned to the group and the church was organized.
In the 1960s, Frazer Memorial Methodist Church had about 500 members. Interstates 85 and 65 were planned to intersect just a few blocks west of the church. This intersection required the purchase of large plots of land near the church building. Most people in the parish area had to relocate to other sections of the city. It became apparent that the interstate system had destroyed the neighborhood concept around which Frazer Memorial was built. Furthermore, relocation of the church property appeared difficult because there was no particular section of the city to which many members had moved. Some denominational consultants studied the problem and basically suggested the church disband and encouraged the members to join Methodist congregations near their new residence.
After more discussion, the pastor, Rev. Noah Lisenby, is reported to have leaped out of his chair, looked at the people present, and said, "You may know statistics and demographics, but you don't know the heart of the people of Frazer, and you don't understand God's purpose for these people!" The people of Frazer felt that God had a plan and a purpose for them.
Eventually, five acres of property in East Montgomery were offered to the church. Again, the people of Frazer were told that relocation would not work because there was not a single member living within three miles of the new property! It was estimated that fewer than 50 percent of the people would relocate. Again, people did not know the heart of the Frazer family. At the time of relocation, Frazer did not lose a single member.
Over the next 30 years, Frazer became one of the fastest growing United Methodist congregations in America. In 1990 it had the largest worship attendance and the largest Sunday School attendance of any United Methodist congregation in North America!
To reach even more people, Frazer began to offer three Sunday morning worship services and Sunday School hours in 1978. This required much change, but the needs of others proved more important than comfortable routines. In 1992, Frazer invested in a state-of-the-art television ministry and studio to take the message of Christ to the greater Montgomery community, state, nation and even the world.
Since Easter Sunday 2000, Frazer has increased the number of Sunday morning worship services to six by starting three Contemporary Worship services. In 2003, a seventh service, totally in Spanish, was begun and a fulltime Hispanic minister was hired. This service is having a major impact on the growing Hispanic community in our area. These services are incorporating new methods to communicate the timeless truth of Jesus to a new generation.
On July 17, 2005, Frazer opened its newest building, which includes the 2000-seat Wesley Hall, a large atrium, bookstore, coffee shop, baptistry and new Children's Ministry facilities. Wesley Hall is now the new home for our Contemporary Worship services and is ideal for concerts, plays and seasonal musical/drama productions.